Reiki is an ancient healing practice that originated in Tibet and was rediscovered in Japan by Dr. Usui in the late 1800s. Reiki is healing with the hands or a laying of hands on oneself or on others.
Holistic Health teaches us that the body knows how to heal itself, and energy work can assist us in this process. Reiki is energy work that also initiates or augments ones existing spirituality. Reiki is considered a spiritual path, not a religious practice.
I became involved in Reiki in the late 1990s. At that time I was looking for direction, meaning, and connection on a deeper level.
* Reiki is easy to learn and easy to remember. It is considered to be one of the simplest forms of energy work.
* Reiki is a safe practice that can be done on oneself or on others.
* According to Reiki teachings, this practice addresses the root cause of mental, physical and spiritual concerns.
* Reiki is non-invasive. There is no body manipulation.
* The Reiki client remains fully clothed, seated on a chair or lying on a table.
* There is no “dark” energy with Reiki. When practicing Reiki, you are working with pure, positive, protective energy.
* Reiki is a safe practice. You cannot “overdo” the energy, as the body will take in only what it needs.
* You cannot deplete your energy while doing Reiki on others. The opposite is often the case.
* All healing comes from a higher power. As a practitioner you will learn how to facilitate or channel Reiki energy.
* Reiki works even if you are skeptical.
* The minimum effect you will receive from giving and receiving Reiki is that of relaxation. Many clients report an increase in their overall well-being.
* Reiki can enhance your sleep.
* The practice of Reiki gives you something to do while visiting a loved one in the hospital. Reiki either speeds up the healing process or helps someone transition into the nonphysical world.
* Once you are attuned to Reiki, you have the skill for life.
* Reiki can help bring one to a quiet, calm, and connected space.
* A full session of Reiki is not required to reap its benefits. Ten minutes can be just as powerful as one hour.
* The practice of Reiki puts one in a peaceful disposition. This energy is considered to be our contribution towards world peace.
* Reiki is cost effective as no special equipment is required.
* Reiki is felt in the body and is considered to be a tangible connection to the Divine.
Distance Reiki, taught in Level II Reiki, is the practice of sending healing energy to someone who is not present. You could send Reiki to your next-door neighbor or to someone on another continent. Distance is a non-issue. From a personal perspective Distance Reiki brought me much comfort as my children explored the world away from the safety of our home. Distance Reiki has given me a “form” to send healing anywhere in the world.
I taught Level I Reiki to high school students in their second year of a pilot course called Complementary Health. Students required parental permission to attend this workshop. They received their Level I certification in Reiki.
Reiki for me has been a life altering experience; for many years I feel that I have been trapped…I [now] feel inspired and deeply moved to be a nurturer, to help the world through helping the individual, through helping myself, and I have found a certain peace, somewhat of an assurance that, somehow everything will work itself out for the greater purpose… Reiki has also taught me to know the immediacy of life… my perception has shifted…
– Grade 12 Female student
Note: This Reiki Symbol is by artist Willie Wong firstname.lastname@example.org
It was gifted to me by my Master Reiki students.